How to Prepare for Cold Temperatures and Wind
Steamboat has earned a world-wide reputation for its tree skiing/riding and signature Champagne Powder™ snow, however, from time-to-time mountain towns are subject to severe weather patterns such as high wind and cold temperatures. Steamboat is expecting such extreme weather from Wednesday, December 21 through Friday, December 23. See our tips below on how to be prepared and stay safe.
Before you hit the slopes:
- Don’t leave your ski equipment in the car overnight. Frozen boots, gloves, and cold ski pants are not a good way to start a below zero ski day.
- Layer up! Base layers made of technical fabric should be moisture wicking while providing warmth. Wear ski socks with smart wool, then long underwear, a fleece or wool layer, and finally waterproof and windproof ski pants and parka.
- Protect your face with a neck and face mask, or balaclava, and goggles with no gaps to your hat or helmet. A ski parka with a hood that fits over your helmet adds an extra layer from the wind and cold.
- Hand and toe warmers, LOTS of hand and toe warmers.
- Fuel up with a high energy meal and lots of water for hydration and to prevent altitude sickness.
- Download the Steamboat Mobile App, or follow us on social media (@steamboatresort), for the most up-to-date conditions and operations alerts.
On the Mountain:
- Use the buddy system. This is so you can check each other for exposed skin and frost bite frequently, And you can also keep each other company on those cold chairlifts rides.
- Be aware of changing snow surface conditions. Snow below zero can range from sticky and squeaky to super-fast and unforgiving. You don’t want to crash when its below zero. Tree wells and deep snow immersion are also current at Steamboat. Keep a safe distance.
- Take frequent breaks and warm up at one of the on-mountain lodges.
- Know the symptoms of hypothermia: shivering, confusion, having to frequent the bathroom, tight or stiff muscles, blurry vision or speech.
Know what to do if you need help:
- Be sure to save Ski Patrol’s number: 970-871-5911
- Know the Ski Patrol locations: Headquarters are located at the top of Sundown and Sunshine lifts, Top of the Steamboat Gondola inside Thunderhead Lodge.
- Ski Patrollers wear red jackets with a medical cross.
- Steamboat Ambassadors can also help with questions or assistance. Look for the bright yellow steamboat jackets. You can’t miss them!
- Santa skis into Steamboat
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Steamboat Springs, CO. Santa Claus stopped…
- The Best Drinks on the Mountain
Here’s where to post up and what to order for true liquid bliss. Sipping a…
- Don't Miss Steamboat in the Summer
There's no place like Steamboat Springs in the Summer. Activities in the Coca-Cola® Chill Zone,…