The Odds Are…
The Olympic Games are right around the corner and Steamboat is no stranger to Olympians and Olympic success. With over 80 Olympians, Steamboat tops anywhere in North American and potentially the world.
But, don’t let those numbers jade you. I often joke that Olympians are a dime a dozen here in Ski Town USA. Yes, it’s true…statistically speaking. 1 in 157 people in Steamboat is an Olympic athlete. But, let me give you some perhaps lesser known facts about becoming an Olympian.
First, you may be familiar with the concept of Gladwell’s 10,000 hours to perfect a skill. This means that in order to truly perfect something you would need to train 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 8 years. That is a serious time commitment and doesn’t leave much time for anything else.
In my 13 years on the US Ski Team, I can attest to almost 310 days on snow per year.
The truth is this, the odds are NOT in your favor to become an Olympic athlete.
While researching for this blog post, I came across some interesting stats.
- Odds of being audited by the IRS: 1 in 175
- Odds of being in NFL: 1 in 300 (within US for kids participating in football their senior year)
- Odds of being in MLB: 1 in 200 nationwide (within US for kids participating in baseball their senior year)
- Odds of being struck by lightening: 1 in 576,000
- Odds of becoming a Winter Olympic athlete: 1 in 40,000 nationwide (for winter sports athletes)
- Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 1 in 662,000 nationwide
The bottom line is this: the odds are difficult, but the beauty of pursuing something you love and committing to a dream is priceless. There is nothing more gratifying than believing in something and seeing it come to fruition.
I leave you with this:
Take a chance and dream. Pursue something you love and be willing to spend the time and energy on it. You’ll be amazed what might happen.
- STEAMBOAT CELEBRATES NATIONAL SAFETY MONTH
Resort Targets Safety Through Seminars, Programs, Contests & Clinics STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, CO-January 9, 2015-As the…
- Celebrate Steamboat Style
July 4th has never looked so good! Steamboat is offering unique festivities this July. Our…
- An Olympic Mindset
While watching the Olympics the last two weeks, I continue to be impressed with the…
- STEAMBOAT OLYMPIANS HONORED DURING OLYMPIAN CELEBRATION & SEND OFF
Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club Celebrates 100 Year Anniversary During Send-Off STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, CO-January 6,…
Error: Access Token is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.