Sniffin’ Out Safety: #BuddyUp
Guess what time of year it is? A little hint… it’s my favorite time of year. It’s the time of year when there’s extra focus on safety, with a whole week dedicated to highlighting my favorite safety practices. You guessed it, it’s a National Safety Awareness Week. And even though Steamboat emphasizes safety every day of the season, and the official Safety Awareness Week is now a whole month, we’re taking this special week to be super safety focused.
This year our safety campaign is #BuddyUp. It’s our way of reminding everyone playing on the mountain that the best way to have fun and be safe is to play with a buddy. Whether you’re in the powder, trees or on a groomed trail a buddy can keep an eye on you and make sure everyone stays safe. Plus, if you don’t have a buddy, who is going to back up all your “best day ever” stories.
Stop by our Ski Patrol and pick up a #BuddyUp sticker and wear it proudly when you ski and ride with your friends. Better yet, share your #BuddyUp pictures and stories with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Buddying up is my favorite safety tip, but the National Ski Area Association has seven great tips that are part of the Responsibility Code that help keep the mountain safe for all of us. How many of these do you already know?
In case you forgot, here they are:
1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
5. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
7. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Remember those tips whenever you’re out on the mountain. If you ever want to stop in and say hi to my Ski Patrol friends, they love to talk safety! And of course if you ever see me out there, say hi and let’s take a #buddyup photo!
Bear, Steamboat Resort’s safety dog
Bear’s Sniffin’ Out Safety blog archive
Find more tips at Steamboat.com/safety
- Sniffin' Out Safety.... to #BuddyUp
Guess what time of year it is? A little hint… it’s my favorite time of…
- STEAMBOAT CELEBRATES NATIONAL SAFETY MONTH
Resort Targets Safety Through Seminars, Programs, Contests & Clinics STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, CO-January 9, 2015-As the…
- Sniffin' Out Safety....Summer Wildlife
I love the summertime in Steamboat. The flowers bloom, the grass is vibrant green and…