Ways to Beat the Heat
The summer heat is on! Our picturesque mountain town heats up in these summer months, and often it feels like there is little reprieve. Don’t fret. There are some incredible ways to stay cool while enjoying Steamboat and all its wonder.
Tube the Yampa
Anyone who has spent a day in Steamboat in the summer has seen the steady stream of people lounging on tubes while meandering down the Yampa River. It’s a great way to cool off and enjoy some time together with family and friends.
A few things to remember:
- There are a few commercial outfitters in town who will provide tubes and shuttle service up to the put-in point. This makes for a stress-free experience.
- If you have a tube and someone to shuttle you, you are free to tackle the river on your own.
- If you have young children, make sure they have proper flotation devices.
- Wear sunscreen! This is REALLY important as a sunburn is a quick way to ruin your vacation.
- Be respectful of the river, its natural habitat and everyone enjoying it.
More info: Tube the Yampa
Paddleboard on Steamboat Lake
One of the more scenic spots in the Steamboat area is Steamboat Lake. If you are looking for a beautiful way to spend a day on the lake, look into renting a paddleboard or a canoe. If you want to extend your stay and camp or rent a cabin, Steamboat Lake and Pearl Lake are both perfect spots.
More info: Steamboat Lake
Get Outta Town
Going up into the Zirkel or Flattops Wilderness areas are great options to escape the heat. With the higher elevations, the temps are a bit cooler. There are mountain lakes in both of these areas, which offer fishing and swimming options. As with any mountain area in Colorado in the summertime, there are a few important points to keep in mind:
- Be aware of changing weather, especially thunder and lightening. This is a common occurrence in mountain areas during the summer months. Plan on being done with your activities by early afternoon to avoid the storms that roll through later in the day.
- If you do find yourself caught in inclement weather, seek shelter and avoid open areas.
- Bring plenty of water and food
More info: Zirkel Wildnerness